2003 U12 East Cork Final

U-12 East Cork Hurling Final

Lisgoold 3-7 Vs Watergrasshill 2-8
Congratulations to our U-12 boys who put up a brilliant performance last week against Watergrasshill to win the East Cork title this year. This was a very close encounter with every player giving 100%. With minutes remaining there was only the minimum between the teams with Watergrasshill leading the way. But Lisgoold never gave up and they were rewarded for their determination when Jamie Woods goaled in the dying minutes to give Lisgoold the lead, which they held onto until the final whistle. Well done to all the team and their selectors and to everyone who turned up to shout on the boys.

Two in a Row for Lisgoold
Lisgoold won a hard earned victory in a cracking match at this year's East Cork U-12 final played at Castlemartyr on Wednesday June 23rd. The final score was Lisgoold 3-7 Vs Watergrasshill 2-8. This makes it two in a row for Lisgoold after beating Bride Rovers in the final last year.

Lisgoold scored first with an early goal from Ronan Stack from a long range free, but this was quickly matched by Watergrasshill. Both teams traded score for score with Oisín Curtin contributing a goal and at half time Lisgoold were two points up with a score of 2-5 to 2-3.

On resumption of the game after half time Watergrasshill worked their way to a two point lead, but this was eventually cancelled by a crucial goal by Jamie Woods. This came from a free taken by John Cashman which Jamie Woods first time doubled to the back of the net, giving the goalie no chance. This goal, which Cork Senior Hurlers would be hard put to achieve, was the turning point of the game.

Lisgoold backs, Killian Kingston, Sean Noel Donovan, Cathal Cashman and Ronan Stack were strong in defence throughout the game and particularly for the last ten minutes when pressure was greatest. Cathal Cashman used his speed and determination while Killian Kingston used his strength to clear ball after ball. Goalkeeper Robert Swayne had a super game, particularly in the second half when he brought off some superb saves.

Centre field players John McCarthy, Ken Bergen and Jamie Woods ruled the roost at centre field and sent a plentiful supply of ball into the forwards. John McCarthy moved up and down the field and made some crucial clearances in the backs, as well as contributing to attacks. Captain Ken Bergen favoured fast ground hurling while Jamie and John were in a lift and long delivery mode.

Forwards John Cashman and Oisín Curtin were in scoring form with John contributing six points from play and from frees, and Oisín contributing a goal and narrowly missing several others with his brand of fast ground hurling. John Cashman was dominant in the half forward line throughout the game and picked off crucial points from impossible angles from near and far. Cian Scanlan gave his marker a difficult time with his speed and blocking skills and won some crucial frees while Christopher O' Mahony sent many a useful cross from the wing.

Subs: Michael Downey, Keith Flynn, Andrew Donovan and Michael Savage played their part in getting the team to the final and look forward to greater things for next year.

This year's coach was Dermot McCarthy and selectors were Marie Smart and Jerry Cashman.