1993 GAA Report

Extract from Lisgoold Parish Jounal - Setpember 1993

The under 12 League Championship was won again this year for the third year in a row. Expectations at the start of the year were not high as only four of last years team remained. Several players were tried out in the start of the League and the team were not so successful. As the League progressed the team began to start winning and the semi-final against Russell Rovers was a great game of football. Behind seven points at the interval the lead was gradually clawed back and Lisgoold went ahead by a goal with four minutes remaining. However Russell Rovers were not finished and went a goat ahead with two minutes remaining. We thought we were out of the Championship but we had not reckoned with the heart of this team, who came back in the last minute to score a goal and then a point to clinch victory.

On to the final against Dungourney at Rathcormac. Another good game of football with Dungourney on top in the first half and Lisgoold in the second, the game ended in a draw. The replay again in Rathcormac took place a week later. This time Lisgoold dominated the first half and led by five points at the interval. Dungourney dominated the start of the second half and led by four points with five minutes left. Again the spirit of this team came to the fore, and they completely dominated the last five minutes to draw level and would surely have won had there been any more time left. Final score, Lisgoold 4 goals 2 points. Dungourney 3 goals 5 points. According to rule extra time must be played after the second draw. Lisgoold stayed on the field but Dungouney failed to appear. At a subsequent Board meeting the match was awarded to Lisgoold even though their delegate wanted a replay.

Team: Timmy O'Callaghan, Patrick Connery, Noel O' Riordan, Owen Hegarty, Patrick Geary, Sean Twomey (capt.), Ronnie O'Reilly, James Hurley, Barry Ahern, Brian Lahive, Jonathon O'Shea, Brian O'Shea, Kieran Stack, Barry O'Brien, Shane Cronin. Subs: Maurice O'Brien, Dan O'Leary, Denis O'Brien, John Raymond Fitzgerald, Martin O'Brien, Barry McCarthy, Damian Parker, Daniel Murphy, Stephen O'Shea, Brian Clifford, David Byrne, Damian O' Keeffe, Wayne Kingston, Niall O' Riordan, Michael O' Riordan, Donal Cashman, Rosaleen O' Regan, Eileen Ahern, Una Twomey, Eibhlis Coleman. Under-14
A good show was expected from our under 14's as they had won the first ever Under-12 Championship for the Club two years previously. This Championship was played on a League basis as well. In this Lisgoold beat Russell Rovers both at home and away but we were beaten by Castlemartyr first in Castlemartyr by about ten goals when we had a few absentees and at home by four goals with a full team. As the two top teams qualified in the final Lisgoold and Castlemartyr met at Cloyne in the final with Peter Hegarty, Cloyne in charge of the whistle. Castlemartyr dominated the early exchanges but failed to score and Lisgoold were two points ahead. Castlemartyr came back and scored three points when Lisgoold were awarded a penalty which was brilliantly scored by John Murphy. Castlemartyr however came back for two goals to lead at the interval on the score 2 goals 4 points to 1 goal 2 points.

It was score by score at the start of the second half and with ten minutes remaining Castlemartyr led by seven points. It was then that the character of this Lisgoold team surfaced. Just as they had won the under 12 title against the second half odds two years previously they began to whittle away at the lead and with two minutes remaining were just three points behind when Brian O'Sullivan gave a perfect pass to Aidan Forrest and as Michael Elland would say he billowed the net and the sides were level. From the kick out Castlemartyr attacked but the attack was broken up by Kieran O'Shea and having soloed fifty yards the captain drove straight between the uprights and Lisgoold were ahead and time almost up. The defence held out and Lisgoold were winning and their large following were thrilled. Final score, Lisgoold 3 goals 9 points and Castlemartyr 3 goals 8 points.

The Secretary of the East Cork Board John Joe O' Regan presented the winning captain Kieran O'Shea with the Shield and complimented both teams on a great sporting game. And he gave advice to all the youngsters present to stay away from drink, cigarettes and drugs, a sentiment which was echoed in the dressing room afterwards by the trainer who said you never miss what you never had.

Kieran suitably replied on behalf of the team. All the Castlemartyr team remained for the presentation disappointed and all as they must have been and their mentors called to the Lisgoold dressing room afterwards to express their congratulations.

The Lisgoold team returned to Donal Woods' afterwards where all the panel and their younger sisters and brothers were treated to lemonade, crisps and chocolate by the proprietor. Donal wouldn't take a penny for all this and the juvenile club would like to thank him most sincerely. He has done the same thing for the three previous under 12 wins.

Team: John Paul Rohan, Declan O' Mahony, Denis Murphy, Declan Barry, Liam Mulcahy, Eoin O' Riordan, Kieran O' Shea, John Paul O’ Brien, John Murphy, Padraig Ryan, Brian O'Sullivan, Noel Connery, Kevin Cronin, Aidan Forrest, Liam Twomey. Subs: Paul O' Brien came on as a sub in the first half. Brian O' Riordan, Maurice O' Connell, Brian O'Keeffe, Sean Twomey, Daniel O' Brien, James Hurley, Shane McCarthy, Stephen O' Mahony. Under-16
Our under 16's are also progressing well in the Championship which is also played on a league basis. They beat an under strength Ballinacurra rather easily and then Russell Rovers on the score 3 goals 8 points to 1 goal 5 points. Team: Michael O' Keeffe, Colin O' Brien, Keith Purcell, Eoin O' Riordan, John Barry, Michael O' Shea, Jerry O' Connell, Randel Hurley, Connie O'Keeffe, Kieran O'Shea, Paul Stack, Michael Barry, Shane Howick, Donal O'Leary, Charlie McCarthy. Subs: Fiacra Lombard, Paul O' Mahony, Aidan Forrest. Summer Camp
Fourteen or fifteen players from the club in the 12 or 13 age group attended the summer camp at Midleton G.A.A. grounds from July 26th to 30th. Here they were coached on the skills of the games, both hurling and football by a team of experts which included Tom Nott, who IS the county hurling coach and has called to the schools, and Brian Corcoran. Everyone who attended was delighted with the week and the East Cork Juvenile Board are to be complimented on initiating the scheme. Trip to Dublin
What has nearly become an annual event took place this year to coincide with the Cork / Mayo All Ireland Semi-Final on the 15th of August. A 53 seater bus which was full to capacity left Lisgoold at 8 o'clock on Saturday morning. About 40 children and 13 adults were on board. Apart from two brief stops to get over a couple of bouts of travel sickness the first stop was at Urlingford for about 30 minutes. We arrived outside Croke Park at one o'clock and collected tickets for the following day. From there we proceeded to the Marino Institute of Education where we were staying calling to the St. Vincents G.A.A. grounds (our host club) on the way.

A match had been arranged with Vincents that evening at six o'clock. We walked to the grounds which were only next door but about a mile around by the streets on a drizzly afternoon. Vincents were already out on the field and we found out that it was their under 13 team so we drafted in all our older players who happened to have brought their gear with them. We played well in the first half but Vincents greater skill told afterwards. It must be remembered that Vincents in football in Dublin would be the equivalent of Glen Rovers in Cork in hurling and Kevin Heffernan, Des Foley and Jimmy Keaveney would be past players with Eamonn Heary a present intercounty man. After the match we were treated to tea or lemonade and sandwiches and that great full forward of the 70's and 80's Jimmy Keaveney spoke to the lads. Afterwards we went back to where we were staying; the Cork minor team were also staying there, where the lads watched television or played games for the rest of the night.

Up next morning at 8.00 and after breakfast at 9.00 we went to Mass in the loca1 church. After Mass we came back and packed our gear into the bus and headed of to Vincents G.A.A. grounds again where the Cork Senior team were to be training. Unfortunately that was not to be until 1 o'clock and we had to get to Croke Park before that to take up our positions for the minor match. We were under the Cusack Stand near Hill 16 where we had a very good view of the games. Unfortunately both games were very one sided but I suppose the lads were happy when Cork won.

After the game it was back to the bus for the journey home, the first stop being Newbridge where the lads were treated to a meal from funds left over from the event. From there to home we had song, stories and craick with young and not so young taking part and there was no let up until we landed in Lisgoold at 11 o'clock on Sunday night. A great weekend was had by all and can be summed up by a remark which one young lad passed to one of the organisers after getting off the bus 'Thanks very much for a lovely weekend'. All the organising for the trip was done by John Joe O' Regan.

On the Thursday night previously an Irish night was held in Woods' Bar with Charlie McAllister as M.C. A great night’s entertainment was provided and some funds were raised for the trip. the Juvenile Club would like to thank everyone who provided spot prizes for the event. They would also like to thank the Junior Club, Neily Horgan, Midleton, and a local who wishes to remain anonymous for their contributions. Go raibh míle maith agaibh.